State of Play: Star Citizen Space Combat | Star Citizen 2024

"This video represents the “state of play” in terms of where space combat and flying is in Star Citizen. Based on over 100 hours in the current master modes patch and thousands of hours flying across previous patches, I bring to you where I think the flight model is; where it struggles, where it succeeds, and what I think.

I try to be as even-handed and informative in my approach as I can, and I know it’s a lot of information to cover. In this video, I talk about and review the current state of weapon systems like ballistics and missiles, to ship hulls like the Gladius, F7C Hornet, Constellation Andromeda, and more.

I know this video in some ways is one man’s opinion on the state of things, but I try to be as clinical as I can and present the facts as I see them. Anyone who has watched my previous videos knows what I mean – lots of testing, datamining, and hard"

The speaker has spent over 100 hours in Arena Commander testing the Master modes in Star Citizen. They believe that Master modes have set a good foundation for future development, making space combat easier than the Legacy flight model. However, there are some nuances in Master modes that the speaker finds confusing, such as limiters and circular flight models. Despite these complexities, the speaker finds Master modes more enjoyable than the Legacy flight model.

The speaker emphasizes the importance of designing around group play rather than focusing solely on 1v1 duels. They draw parallels to other MMO games that shifted focus to small-scale battles and duels, leading to a decline in popularity. The speaker believes that Star Citizen should prioritize group battles to ensure long-term success and player engagement.

In their review of specific ship archetypes in Master modes, the speaker finds the Interceptor archetype confusing and potentially problematic. They express concerns about the potential imbalance of power between solo pilots and multi-crew ships like the Constellation. The speaker suggests that multi-crew ships should require a minimum number of players to reach peak performance to avoid abuse of game mechanics.

The speaker provides detailed feedback on various ships in Master modes, highlighting issues with weapon velocities, power management, and the effectiveness of certain ship classes. They express a preference for ships that cater to group play and emphasize the importance of rewarding teamwork in combat scenarios. The speaker also critiques the handling of ballistic weapons and missile mechanics in the game.

In conclusion, the speaker acknowledges the importance of Master modes as a step towards improving Star Citizen’s gameplay experience. They encourage players to accept the current state of the game or move on if they are dissatisfied. The speaker expresses optimism about the potential of the archetypes and classes introduced in Master modes but raises concerns about the need for balance and strategic depth to ensure a rewarding gameplay experience for all types of players.