My New Favourite Small Fighter in Star Citizen: The Drake Buccaneer

“I received the Drake Buccaneer as a loaner ship when pledging the Drake Vulture, due for Flyable release in 3.18. And when I bought a new set of flight sticks I decided to use the Buccaneer to Acclimate to the new system, and boy was I in f”

The Drake Buccaneer is a small fighter craft known for its unapologetic power and robust build. It has a reputation as the go-to ship for those living on the fringes of civilized human space and those involved in less than legal occupations. The ship boasts standardized internal components and a notable range of firepower, equipped with two size one, two size three, and a roof-mounted size four hardpoint. While it was once considered a glass cannon, the buccaneer has become more capable in combat with the right upgrades.

Replacing the stock components with combat-friendly hardware significantly improves the buccaneer’s performance, making it more than capable in a fight. Replacing the ballistics with lasers, such as repeaters or cannons, enhances its viability for extended missions. The ship also offers the option to replace the size four hardpoint with a spinal mount, increasing the firepower potential. Its nimble nature allows it to utilize hit-and-run tactics, using its speed and maneuverability to close in on prey and exploit their vulnerabilities.

The buccaneer excels at harassment and distracting larger targets, providing cover for slower and larger attackers. Its speed and small size make it difficult to hit, and its two size one shields help to mitigate incoming fire. However, it does have limitations, such as a limited ammunition pool due to its demanding thrusters and weapons. It is best utilized in group combat situations, where it can effectively harass and damage enemies while being a difficult target to ignore.

Overall, the drake buccaneer is a powerful and exciting small fighter that offers a unique playstyle. Its aggressive display of power, coupled with its speed and maneuverability, make it a favorite among pilots. Despite some limitations, such as the missile reloading bug, it remains a formidable choice for combat.